1. not only the students but also their teacher ________ going to see a film tomorrow.
2. each boy and girl in our class ________ praised by our headmaster at the meeting last monday.
3. the smiths ________ going to buy a house when they’ve saved enough money.
4. 100 dollars ________ enough for all my expenses at that time.
5. either you or one of your students ________ to attend the meeting that is due tomorrow.
6. for now, all we need ________ a chance to get on with the job.
7. about 40 percent of the students ________ admitted to the college in that school last year.
8. there ________ nobody in the house when i arrived.
9. a survey of the opinions of experts shows that three hours of outdoor exercise a week ________ good for one’s health.
10. the company had about 20 notebook computers but only one-third ________ used regularly. now we have 60 working all day long.
1. sir, you ________ (wouldn’t, mustn’t) sit in this waiting room. it is for women and children only.
2. there’s someone outside, but it ________ (can’t, needn’t) be tony. he is in new york now.
3. anything is possible. jan ________ (should, may) have decided to visit someone on her way home.
4. joe was pleased when he realized he ________ (needn’t, shouldn’t) pay for tickets for the match because they were free for students.
5. you ________ (shouldn’t, mustn’t) have left without apologising, you know. you really hurt her feelings.
6. i ________ (should, must) have studied last night, but i went out to appreciate the night view of our city instead.
7. —i sent lily several text messages, but she didn’t answer.
—she ________ (would, might) still be angry with you, but i’m not quite sure.
8. —you ________ (mustn’t, couldn’t) have moved so heavy a box upstairs on your own, right?
—oh, my friend howard lent me a hand.
9. —there are no tickets available for friday’s music performance.
—what a pity! we ________ (must, ought to) have booked some online in advance.
10. —will you read me a story, mummy?
—ok. you ________ (need, shall) have one if you go to bed as soon as possible.
1. mrs smith was glad to see her baby ________ (take) good care of in the nursery.
2. jack was quite ________ (amaze) that the man’s suitcase remained well-locked, but the money in it was stolen.
3. the girl ________ (dress) in red won first prize in the english speaking contest.
4. ________ (regard) as a global drink, tea sells quite well all over the world.
5. jason has done everything ________ (plan) for today.
6. when ________ (ask) what he was going to be, the boy said that he wanted to be a scientist in the future.
7. ________ (translate) into english, the sentence was found to have an entirely different word order.
8. mike is sweeping the ________ (break) glasses from the floor.
9. i was ________ (surprise) to learn, according to their policy, that i would get the product for free as a reward.
10. ________ (give) the right kind of training, these teenage soccer players may one day grow into international stars.
1. —what did your teacher say to you just now?
—she asked ________ i had gone during the summer holidays.
2. it is a pity ________ tim hasn’t been able to make any friends.
3. ________ was most important to her, the mother told me, was her only son.
4. many teachers cannot figure out ________ such a good student became a failure.
5. ________ sofia passes the class or not depends on her grade on the final essay.
6. have you ever noticed ________ much of the potato is wasted when you remove the skin?
7. if you had told us earlier ________ he was, we could have introduced him at the meeting.
8. knowledge, ability, and a good character are ________ we should try to get as we grow up.
9. unfortunately the instructions were ambiguous and we didn’t know ________ part of the program to run.
10. she wasn’t sure ________ the native americans began their migration. maybe it happened in the 16th century.
1. the reason ________ he gave for being late was that he overslept this morning.
2. i’m afraid he’s more of a talker than a doer, ________ is why he never finishes anything.
3. happiness and success often come to those ________ are good at recognizing their own strengths.
4. the science museum, ________ we visited during a recent trip to britain, is one of london’s tourist attractions.
5. at the party full of strangers, he couldn’t find a person with ________ he could talk.
6. it was an exciting moment for these football fans this year, ________ their team won the world cup.
7. after graduation, he went to work in a country ________ culture was quite different from that of his motherland.
8. as time goes by, i always think of the happy memories and persons ________ cannot be easily forgotten in my high school.
9. the actor has developed a unique style of acting over the years, ________ makes him very popular in hollywood.
10. many graduates prefer to work in a business ________ they can gain great self-development.
in 1901, the citizens of colorado springs in the usa decided to collect everyday items and to seal them in a steel box. the box 1. ________ (mark) “to be opened after midnight, december 31st, ad 2000”, and was stored in the colorado college library.
one hundred years later, on the 2. ________ (appoint) day, 300 people gathered to watch the 3. ________ (open) of the box. many in the crowd were the descendants of people who 4. ________ (place) things inside the box.
when the box was opened after midnight, the contents 5. ________ (be) in very good condition. there 6. ________ (be) newspapers, photographs, diaries, name cards, family trees, books and dozens of letters, 7. ________ (include) one written by theodore roosevelt, 8. ________ became the president of the usa later that year.
many of the letters were addressed to their descendants. they described the hopes 9. ________ the people of 1901 had for the people of the next century. at that time, colorado springs had just a few thousand residents. now nearly half a million people live there.
colorado college library has scanned the materials and put them on a website. cecil muller, 10. ________ grandfather had placed a collection of postcards in the box, said that the time capsule was a great treasure. “this is a wonderful educational resource. we can learn so much about our history,” he said.
责编 | 杨宁
审稿 | 李栋
校稿 | 吕放